Employee training for increased energy knowledge and awarenessBOSCH energy schools
Employee training? There is plenty of potential in this because Bosch Diesel Systems employs around 50,000 people worldwide. Each employee can directly affect the amount of energy that is consumed at their workplace. Furthermore, they can look at the company with open eyes and submit ideas on how to improve energy efficiency. So, the question is: How do you manage to make as many employees as possible aware of energy efficiency and CO2 reduction?
These days, the topic of climate change comes up repeatedly during our internal discussions. When holding these discussions, we also take cultural differences into consideration. For example, the Homburg location won the 2012 Deutschen Ideenpreis (“German Ideas Prize”) in part because it produced an educational video about energy efficiency at home and in the workplace that has gone on to be viewed by employees throughout the world. A different approach is taken at our location in Bangalore (India), where the topic of CO2 has been addressed through several theatre performances with music and dance.
A communication concept has prevailed in many of our locations: the energy school. There, employees and their families get involved in practical presentations with exhibits such as:
• How much muscle power is needed to generate 100 W of electrical power?
• How much energy is lost due to leaks in compressed air systems?
• How can you heat more efficiently through systematic ventilation?
• Why it is worth switching off devices and production facilities at the end of the workday?
• How much energy can be saved by using more efficient components?
What is 1 tonne of CO2 or 1 MWh of energy?
We make energy consumption and CO2 tangible for the employees by using analogies.
• 1 tonne of CO2 is about the same as 200,000 balloons of pure gas
• 1 MWh amounts to over 2,000 kilometres’ worth of fuel consumption by an economical car
• 4 MWh amounts to the annual electricity requirements of a single-family home
All of the small suggestions for improvement by our employees add up and are what make such high total savings possible.
Robert Bosch GmbH
+49 (0)711 811-30379